I have to be honest, the only cool aspects of autumn that I enjoy are the cooler temperatures, colorful leaves, and the crunchy sound that the leaves make when I step on them.
While it might be great to have a regimen and stick to it, the reality is that conditions in our environment changes, and so it’s crucial that you accommodate these changes. This might mean changing up your products, the way you style your hair, your hairstyles, your wash day routine or your entire regimen. I always find myself adjusting my hair regimen every season because our body goes through some changes every time the season changes, and these changes will have an effect on the look and feel of our hair.
To get you ready for the cold days ahead, here are 20 simple tips that you can use to keep your hair in a healthy state this fall and winter.
- Look for products with natural oils like olive oil, argan oil, or glycerin, aloe vera juice or shea butter.
2. Use a shampoo and conditioner designed for dry hair.
3. Consider wearing a hat when it gets too windy, wet or cold
4. Trim those dry and rough ends, these are dead hair and there’s no point wasting time, effort and products on them.
5. Do a hot oil treatment. I like to do a coconut oil prepoo or olive oil prepoo or a combination of both
6. Sleep on a silk pillowcase or use a satin bonnet. It causes less friction.
7. Hold off on coloring your hair since hair colors dries the hair out. If you must color your hair, be ready to increase your moisturizing efforts.
8. Don’t be afraid to whip up your own DIY hair treatment. Some popular DIY treatment includes olive oil, honey, avocado and coconut milk.
RELATED POST: 10 DIY TREATMENTS FOR DRY HAIR
9. Whenever you shampoo, apply the shampoo on your scalp and let the lather run down your hair
10. Consider using a sulphate free shampoo Sulphates leaves your hair feeling dry.
11. Apply conditioner on your ends first to ensure that this part of your hair gets enough nourishment
12. Your hair loves healthy fats! So eat plenty of avocados, salmon, and olive oil. These foods are jam-packed with essential fatty acids (similar to the ones in the sebum), which can moisturize a dry scalp with natural oils.
13. Avoid crash diets, because when you starve your body of essential nutrients, your hair will be the first to feel it. This is because the hair producing cells are the least important cells in the body, and so they get nutrients last. So when there isn’t enough nutrients to go around, the new hair that grows out of your scalp will be dry, weak and unhealthy.
14. Always use a silicone based heat protectant when using heat on your hair
15. Heat appliances removes moisture from your hair, consider air-drying your hair as often as possible. This isn’t only safe on your hair, it’s also saves you a few bucks on your electric bill.
16. Massage your scalp in the evenings to increase blood flow to the scalp and stimulate sebum secretion
17. Do not wash your hair with excessively hot water because it strips your hair of natural oils. use warm water to wash your hair and rinse the conditioner off with cool (not freezing cold) water. This will make your hair smooth and shiny
18. Stay away from products with alcohol, they dry your hair out.
19. Inspect your hair care tools from time to time. Chipped combs and blunt scissors can cause breakage.
20. Treat your hair with total loving care. Only style your hair when you have the time and are in the mood.
[Tweet “What are your favourite natural hair tips for the Fall? via @coilsandglory”]