Having kinky curly, corkscrewed, spiraled, and/or naturally coily hair can be a task, it can even be more tasking when you can’t find a professional who is knowledgeable in the technicalities of your hair. This is why one of the questions I get asked the most is about natural hair stylists in Toronto. Rather than answering the same question over and over again, I thought it’s wise to compile a list on the website where I can refer readers to.
The salons listed below offer similar services and some even offer services to clients with straight hair. If you haven’t smelt a relaxer in many years like myself and don’t want to smell one when you go get your hair done, please make sure that you call these stylists beforehand. Most of the salons listed below also provide hair care tips to help you manage your style in between visits. Before you go, make sure you ask them as many questions as you can on pricing, hair care techniques, products used and other necessary information that needs clarification.
1. Curl Bar: I have visited Curl Bar a couple of times to go see the salon owner, Trudie, and so I can only comment on the hospitality I received at the salon, which was very welcoming. Also, Curl Bar sells select line of Natural Hair products such as Kinky Curly, Shea Butter, Deva Curl, Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
Location: 33 Sherbourne St. Toronto, ON.
2. Nanni’s Natural Hair Salon: I have spoken to Janet, the salon owner on the phone once, and she was such a joy to speak with. Janet actually started her salon from the basement of her home in a time when Natural hair wasn’t “in-style”. Her salon has now grown to the vibrant store it is today. Janet’s salon is a holistic salon which ONLY caters to natural hair, so you don’t have to worry about smelling relaxers when you walk into her salon. Another great thing about this salon is that Janet actually whips up her own line of hair products which I hear is awesome! From my conversation with Janet, she told me that she organizes summer camps for teenagers where she empowers young girls to love the body they’re in, including their hair! So you can tell that Janet really knows kinky curly hair and is passionate about styling your hair type.
Location: 1018 Finch Ave. West, Unit #102. Toronto, ON
3. Aphrodite’s Hair Sanctuary: I have also gone to this salon to go visit Keina, one of the stylists at the store. Keina also organizes workshops and she is active on social media.
Location: 81 St. Clair Ave. East
4. Safiya’s House of Kreation: Like a few other salon owners on this list, I have also met Safiya on a few occasions. Both at her salon and at hair events, including Habourfront’s Black History Month event where she big chopped Chloe’s hair in front of a live audience (click here to read the interview with Chloe). Safiya has been doing hair from a very young age, so her passion for styling hair is deeply rooted.
Location: 657 Lansdowne Ave. Toronto ON
5. Luv’n Locs is owned by Chermaine Daley, Toni Daley’s sister. Charmaine actually bought one of my oil blends at the Toronto Natural Hair and Beauty Show last fall for her locs.
Location: 50 Cornwall Street. Toronto, ON
6. The Curl Institute: This is the same institute with the Curl Keeper hair product line, so you can be rest assured that they know curly hair.
Address: 85 Sheppard Avenue West. Toronto, ON.
7. Curl Ambassadors
The great thing about this salon is that they have TWO locations in Toronto!
Downtown location: 159 Harbord Street (Main Level). Toronto, ON
Vaughan Location: 9100 Jane St, Unit 32, Building D. Vaughan, ON
8. Curly Girls Studio also offers treatments for those transitioning from relaxed to natural hair.
Location: 330 Steeles Ave East Thornhill, ON
9. Diva Designs Hair Studio
Location: 627A Dufferin St. Toronto, ON.
10. Celebrity Unisex Salon
Location: 3133 Sheppard Ave East, Scarborough ON
11. Clore Beauty Salon: This is the salon version of Clore Beauty supply stores.
Location – 54 Morecambe Gate, Toronto, ON (Scarborough)
12. Loc ‘N Twists: also offers hair barbering services, so it’s a great place to go for a edgy haircut.
Location: 7 Ardglen Dr, Brampton, ON.
13. K’s Natural Hair Salon
Location: 7 Red Cedar Way, North York ON
14. Natural Mystics Hair Studio
Location: 23 Olive Marie Rd. Brampton ON
15. Growth Aid Salon was founded to assist in the process of restoring dry, damaged, or thinning hair.
Location: Jane & Weston Road. Toronto ON
16. TLC: Tresses, Locs & Coils
Location: 1562 Eglinton Avenue West, Toronto ON
Contact: Taniel Smith
17. Twisted Sistahs
Location: Tenth Line & Battleford. Mississauga, ON
18. Strictly Roots: They offer services for locs, loose hair and barbering
Location: 154 Bathurst Street Toronto, ON. (Kensington Market Area)
19. Ragga Hair Studio
Location: 135 Dundas Street East, Toronto, ON
20. Atlanta Hair Design
Location: 2439A Yonge Street, Toronto, ON
21. Natural Hair studio
Location: 27 Nelson Street, Brampton!
22. CleanLocs: Got gunky locs? Clean locs specializes in removing lints, dirt and other funkiness from your locs.
Disclaimer: I have no personal review of the services of any of these salons, but please feel free to share your reviews with us in the comment box below.
Welcome to the Coils and Glory site where I believe that our coils are our crown and glory. I help women with 4c hair to feel more confident in their hair and love the hair texture they're in. I also have a hair extensions and t-shirt line you are welcome to purchase.
On the site, you will find many helpful hair care articles that are geared towards healthy hair care. If you want to learn more about your hair, you're welcome to checkout my e-books, e-courses and online workshops.
Also feel free to send me a message through the contact form or on social media @coilsandglory