One of the questions that I get asked the most is usually on how to grow natural hair longer. So, before I jump into giving you hair tips that might be completely useless to you, I’ll instead throw this question back to you by asking you to do a little bit of reflection on your hair. This means sitting down to think about all the things that you did to your hair this year, and based on your responses, you can then develop a hair growth plan that will work for you.
So, if you’re ready to grow your hair long, I’d like for you to answer the following 12 questions.
How often do you wash, deep condition and change up your hairstyle?
What do you do to your hair on a daily basis?
What types of products do you use in your hair?
Do you have any product that’s causing dryness?
How often do you use these products in your hair?
Do you have any hair tool or accessory that hurts, pulls your hair off or causes breakage?
Do you have any hair tool that’s uncomfortable, sharp, or rusted?
Take an inventory of all the hairstyles that you did this year and then answer these questions.
For each hairstyle, how long did you had it in for?
How tight, heavy and tiny were those hairstyles?
Did you wash your hair while they were in a style?
How did your hair feel after taking down those hairstyles? Did it feel extremely dry?
Did you experienced a lot of breakage after taking down the style?
Putting it all together
After you’ve gathered all your thoughts and responses, I’ll need you to go and identify any hair habits that you think might have prevented you from growing your hair long this year. Most times, it’s easy to find out the cause of a problem simply by asking well thought out questions. By the time you’ve answered all these questions, you will be able to see the areas where you need to make changes, so that you can start to see great changes in the health of your hair.
Answering these questions will also help you to replace your bad hair habits with good ones.
And just in case you’re not sure what good hair habits you can start implementing right away, here are my top 5 healthy hair habits that you would need to adopt in 2016, if you want to see remarkable results all year around.
1) Wash and deep condition your hair weekly, this is crucial if you have dry hair.
2) Moisturize your hair on a daily basis, particularly if you have dry hair. If you don’t have dry hair, you can opt for moisturizing your hair a few times in a week
RELATED POST: TOP 5 LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER FOR NATURAL HAIR
3) Stay away from any hairstyle that requires you to take a pain killer afterwards, this means any hairstyle that feels heavy and uncomfortable the first few days that you have them in.
4) Throw out hair tools that are causing breakage and any other hair tools and accessories that aren’t in a good shape. You should also give away hair products that are causing your hair to feel dry.
5) Adopt a coily hair mentality. This means doing the exact opposite of what you were used to when you had straight hair. So, if you were only washing your hair once a month, you will now need to wash your hair twice a week. If you used to spend 10 minutes styling your straight hair, you should be prepared to spend at least 20 minutes styling your hair, depending on the hairstyle that you’re going for.
Now, if you really want to grow your hair long, I’d like to invite you to the 100 days of natural hair growth challenge. Simply click on the image below to join us