Martin Luther King Jr. day is an American public holiday that celebrates the accomplishment of civil rights activist, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This holiday is observed on the third Monday of January every year because it’s the birth month of Dr. King who was born on January 15 1929.
We can all agree that Dr. King lived a life of impact because he accomplished a lot of things in the 39 years he was alive that most people can only dream about. He changed the lives of millions of Black people, not only in the U.S, but also around the world. Five decades after his death, Dr. King’s mission still lives on and his accomplishments is enjoyed by generations after him.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s accomplishments
1) 1955 – He led the Montgomery bus boycott shortly after Rosa parks refused to give up her seat to a White man.
2) 1963 – He helped organize the nonviolent protests in Birmingham, Alabama, to fight against racial segregation in the south.
3) 1963 – He helped organize the March on Washington, where he delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech.
4) 1964 – He won the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolent resistance.
5) 1965 – He helped organize the Selma to Montgomery marches, which was a protest where African Americans demanded for the right to vote.
6) 1966 – He took his movement to Chicago to fight against segregated housing because Black people were denied housing in certain neighborhoods back then.
7) April 4 1968 – He was assassinated in Memphis Tennessee.
11 Legendary Martin Luther King Jr.
In this post, I want to highlight some of Dr. King’s famous quotes. These quotes are timeless and they relate to anyone who might have a radical idea and is afraid of carrying it out. I created digital prints you can purchase, download and frame so that you can be reminded daily of the things that needs to be done for the benefit of the masses.
You can purchase these digital prints from my Etsy store. They will soon be available on my store. You’re also welcome to share these quotes on your Twitter page, Pinterest or Instagram.
1) “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
2) “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
3) “Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last.”
4) “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
5) “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
6) “The time is always right to do what is right.”
7) “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
8) “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”
9) “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?”
10) “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
11) ‘The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.”
Which is your favorite quote? Let me know in the comments section.