Cardi B may be known as a queen of catchy rap songs but it turns out she’s also the queen of DIY (Do It Yourself) Masks. In one of her many posts on her Instagram story, the rapper revealed one of the secrets to her long and healthy natural hair.
Cardi revealed she uses the mask to keep her and her daughter’s hair moisturized and nourished. Since Cardi posted the video, many fans with natural hair have been making their own batches of the Cardi B hair mask. The DIY mask has gained popularity among naturalistas who seem to be loving the results.
If you’ve been wondering what the Cardi B hair mask is all about and how to recreate the recipe at home, you’ve come to the right place.
Because we will be sharing everything you need to know about this recipe, which will include all the ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and the benefits of each ingredient.
The Cardi B Hair Mask Recipe And How To Use It
In the video below shared on her Instagram story, Cardi B can be seen combining natural and nutrient-rich ingredients like avocados, eggs, and honey as she explains she uses it on her hair and her daughter, Culture’s hair.
According to Cardi, the mask is meant to help replenish the hair with nutrients and moisture and help your curls to pop. It is also meant to keep the hair healthy and help with growth. This makes it the perfect mask for anyone with dry hair looking to facilitate their hair growth and give their hair an extra boost of moisture.
Now, let’s get into the original recipe for the Cardi B hair mask to get you well on your way to whipping up your own batch.
Cardi B DIY Ingredients
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- ½ a cup of black castor oil
- 1 tablespoon of argan oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Use a spoon to scoop out the meat of the avocados into a blender
- Add all the remaining ingredients into the blender and blend the mixture until smooth. ( ensure there are no visible chunks of avocado or banana in the mixture).
- After shampooing your hair, apply the mask evenly all over and leave it on for a while before rinsing it out.
- Follow up with a leave-in conditioner or moisturizing butter.
Note: Cardi does not exactly specify how long to leave the mask on, but it is best to treat it with any other hair mask. Leave it on for 30-60 minutes, depending on how quickly your hair absorbs products. If you have low-porosity hair, it may also be best to wear a heating cap or use a hair steamer to allow for better penetration of the hair mask.
Benefits of Cardi B’s Hair Mask And Why It Works!
At first glance, you might look at the basic ingredients in this hair mask and think, what makes it so special? However, the natural staple kitchen ingredients in this mask are what makes it so good for the hair.
It is loaded with nourishing and moisturizing components which load the hair with rich nutrients. From the avocados to eggs, let’s take a look at the science and benefits behind some of the good stuff in this hair mask
- Eggs: Eggs are nutrient-rich ingredients that are rich in biotin and vitamins, which improve the health of the hair. The yolk contains fats that will soften the cuticles, while the egg white contains proteins that are great for strengthening the hair.
- Avocados: avocados are rich in fatty acids, water, and fibers which help add moisture and fullness to the hair. It is also rich in biotin and other vitamins which aid in hair growth.
- Honey: Honey is a humectant that helps to draw in moisture from the environment into the hair while smoothening the hair shaft. It seals moisture into the hair and prevents excessive dryness.
- Argan Oil: Argan oil contains antioxidants and vitamins which help strengthen the hair and promote a healthy scalp. It also adds shine to the hair strands while helping to seal in moisture.
- Olive Oil: Rich in omega-3 fats, olive oil is a great emollient that will soften the hair and prevent dryness, and seal in moisture into the hair. It has been shown to have scalp-soothing properties that protect against hair loss.
- Mayonnaise: Mayo often contains vegetable oils like soybean oil which softens and strengthens the hair. It will also help with moisture retention.
- Banana: Bananas contain essential minerals like silica and water, which will keep the hair strong and full while delivering some moisture.
- Black Castor Oil: Black castor oil is an anti-inflammatory oil loaded with vitamin E and fatty acids which moisturize and nourish the hair. It is also very popular for boosting hair growth.
Does The Carbi B Hair Mask Actually Work?
When you take a look at the combined benefits of all the ingredients in the Cardi B hair mask, you’ll see that is designed to load the hair with moisture, hydration, nourishment and even aid in length retention.
However, the question of how effective it is varies depending on the user. Cardi says it has aided in the growth of her full back-length hair and her daughter’s hair. Many Naturalistas on social media also reported seeing a noticeable difference after using the mask. For some, it was better moisturized and softer hair, while for others, it was noticeable growth over time.
Results will always vary with each person, but here are a few videos of naturals who tried and loved the results they got from the Cardi B hair mask.
What You Need To Keep In Mind When Using Cardi B’s Hair Growth Mask
Now, we’ve already established the Cardi B hair mask is great for the hair. However, before you start making your own batch, here are a few key things to keep in mind.
- Apply it to clean hair: The best way to reap the benefits of the nutrients in this mask is to make sure you apply it to clean hair. If possible, ensure your hair is freshly washed to allow your clean hair strands to absorb all the goodies in the hair mask.
- Rinse it out properly: This mask is made of food ingredients that can leave residues in the hair or go bad after a while so make sure to properly rinse the hair multiple times until every trace of the mask is washed out of the hair. You don’t want chunks of banana or avocado poking out of your strands when you’re styling your hair.
- Don’t leave it for too long: When left on for too long, the oils and the other ingredients start to separate and can quickly turn into a clumpy mess. So, it is best to avoid leaving the mask in the hair for too long. Leaving the mask on your hair for too long can also cause hygral fatigue, a type of damage to the hair follicle that happens when excessive moisture penetrates the hair.
- Do a patch test: The Cardi B hair mask is a DIY hair mask, and as such, it hasn’t been tested in a lab for things like allergies or safety. So before you apply the mask to your hair, it is best to do a patch test on a tiny strand of hair first. Once you’re certain there is no negative reaction on your hair and scalp, then you can apply it all over your hair.
- Don’t hesitate to make adjustments to the recipes: When making the hair mask feel free to add or remove any ingredients you prefer. For example, if you are going to be using a steaming cap or applying any form of heat, you can remove the egg to avoid the possibility of ending up with cooked egg chunks on your hair.
- Be cautious about using it too often: The mask is a deeply nourishing hair mask with trace elements of protein, so it is not something that you want to use too often. Depending on how sensitive or damaged your hair is, you may want to use it no more than once every two weeks. However, if your hair can handle it, feel free to use it once or twice a week.
- Don’t expect a miracle: When using this hair mask, it is best to keep your expectations in check. We all want long, healthy hair, so we are always looking for the next quick fix but keep in mind that this hair mask is more of a moisture treatment.
While it can certainly make your hair healthy enough for better length retention over time, it is not a miracle mask. It will not take your hair to back length in a span of a month, nor will it instantly fix your damaged hair after one use. You’ll need to be consistent with other things in your regimen while using this hair mask before you start noticing a visible difference.
Cardi B has proven she is a queen that will give us anything from smash hit tunes to beauty secrets, and she has certainly done that with this hair mask recipe. She has given us an easy and affordable hair mask with simple ingredients that give the hair an extra boost of moisture and nutrients.
So, if you’re looking to achieve healthy and long hair that may be just as good or even better than Cardi B’s natural hair, then go ahead and whip up this mask. It may just be the dose of TLC your hair needs.