If your hair looks dull, lacks shine and is excessively dry, it might be signs of product buildup. To get rid of this problem, you will need to clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo. Clarifying shampoos acts as a deep cleanse to rid your hair of product buildup, grease, toxins and other impurities that might be weighing your hair down. This way, your hair will get a fresh clean start!
Clarifying shampoos also acts as an exfoliate scrub for your skin.
This post contains affiliate links which means that I make a small commission at no additional cost to you if you make a purchase with my link.
If you find a discontinued product on this list, please do let me know so I can keep this post updated. I’d also like to inform you that brands change their product packaging from time to time, which means that the product picture in this post might look a bit different from the retailers website at the time you decide to make a purchase.
What is the purpose of clarifying shampoos?
In terms of why you need a clarifying shampoo in your regimen, here’s a quick list of the five types of people who needs clarifying shampoos.
1. Co-wash naturals: You will still need shampoos to thoroughly cleanse your hair.
2. Swimmers: The best way to remove chlorine and salt water from your hair is to use clarifying shampoos.
3. Naturals who use hard water to wash their hair or live in a hard water region. Clarifying shampoos are formulated to remove excessive minerals from your hair.
4. Troubled scalp: One of the reasons why you have itchy scalp might be due to product build-up. To get rid of this, use a clarifying shampoo to wash your scalp.
5. Suffer from excessively dry hair: Your hair might be excessively dry because of product build-up or conflicting hair products. As a result, your deep conditioners and leave-in conditioner might not function in their best capacity. To get rid of this problem so that your hair will absorb your hair products better, you should clarify your hair using a clarifying shampoo.
How often should I use a clarifying shampoo?
At least once per month. And if you’re a swimmer, you can use regular sulphate based shampoos in-between.
Whatever you do, you always want to make sure that you follow a clarifying shampoo with a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment so that your hair doesn’t feel too stripped.
10 Best Leave-In Conditioners Sprays For Fine Hair
5 Best Leave-In Conditioners For Dry Hair
10 Moisturizing Deep Conditioners For Dry Hair
10 Protein Deep Conditioners for 4c Hair
10 Glycerin Free Conditioners That Are Worth Trying
Best Clarifying Shampoos For Curly Hair
1. SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
Product Promise: A clarifying, sulfate-free shampoo that removes product build-up, while infusing hair with moisture. Leaves hair soft and shiny.
Review: “I’ve used this shampoo and it is great for my dry scalp.” – Adeola (that’s me 🙂
2. Aunt Jackie’s Curls & Coils Oh So Clean Shampoo
Product Promise: Treat your chronically dry hair to this lather-rich, deep moisturizing hair bath. Enriched with coconut oil, shea butter and extra virgin olive oil, tresses become super clean, soft, hydrated and easier to comb.
Review: “It doesn’t leave your hair feeling frizzy and stripped of moisture, though it cleanses your hair thoroughly.”
3. Kinky-Curly Come Clean Moisturizing Shampoo
Product Promise: This exclusive blend of mandarin orange extract will gently clean your hair and scalp of dulling buildup while sea kelp will help maintain proper moisture balance.
Review: “This product left my hair feeling clean! without being stripped.”
4. Alikay Naturals Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo
Product Promise: Finally a way to get your hair and scalp really clean with natural ingredients.
Review: “My hair is clean without being dried out”
5. As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
Product Promise: Clarifies hair, allowing easy absorption of other styling and maintenance products. Moisturizes and prevents hair from drying out and becoming rough and unmanageable.
Review: “My hair felt clean but not striped of moisture. It’s definitely a keeper.”
6. Jane Carter Solution Healthy Hair Renewable Difference Detox Shampoo
Product Promise: Renewable difference is gentle cleansing shampoo that removes product build up and mineral build up as a result of hard water. It is hair color safe and leaves your hair soft and manageable.
Review: “It cleans very well and I like the ingredients”
7. Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products Stimulating Herbal Cleanser
Product Promise: Thoroughly cleanses the hair and scalp. Ideal for itching and other minor scalp irritations, it helps your scalp feel clean and soothed. Plus, it stimulates your scalp while cleansing for optimal hair growth.
Review: “I love the clean feeling I felt and it is awesome for my 4b hair.”
8. Devacurl Buildup Buster Hair Cleanser
Promise: This powerful cleanser uses micellar technology to gently remove buildup from the hair and scalp without stripping essential moisture; unlike the harsh ingredients of traditional clarifying shampoos
Review: This stuff is amazing. It completely removed all of the built up product in my hair and now it looks amazing! Absolutely wonderful product.
9. Curls Pure Curls Clarifying Shampoo
Product Promise: Purify your curls with gentle cleanser without worry. This purifying cleanser will remove debris, pollutants, and other unnecessary elements without stripping away essential oils from your hair and scalp.
Review: “This is a deep cleansing shampoo. I use it once a month to purify my hair. I can feel the difference right away.”
Product Promise: A minty aromatic clarifying cleanser ph-balanced to deliver ultimate cleansing and moisture benefits. Our unique blend of sesame and olive botanical oils are folded together into a hydrating puree of organic honey and aqua. Pure and clarifying peppermint oil is whisked into our mixture to deliver a natural, non-stripping and refreshing hair cleansing experience for all textures.
Review: “This is good stuff. Buy it! I saw it online as a good product and my friends said it was good too. I took the leap and I’m glad I did. I have thick 4C hair, it works great.”
What clarifying shampoo have you tried? Which one will you be trying? Let us know in the comments section.
You can watch a video slideshow of this post on my YouTube channel, where you can also subscribe to my channel.