Half-up half-down hairstyles can be achieved with natural hair, weaves, braids, and wigs. There is no limit to what your stylist can achieve, if you can dream it you can wear it. Half-up half-down styles can be curly, straight, colorful, short, long, sleek, messy, playful, or reserved. Below you’ll find 44 variations on the classic go-to Half-up Half-down hairstyle.
How do you do a pretty half-up half-down style?
Part off hair in half from ear to ear. Secure the front portion with a band, and for added length and drama wrap weave hair around the base. Finish with extra hair wrapped around to cover the band and the track. Style back portion as is, or cornrow flat before gluing or sewing in weave for length and volume.
How long should a half up half down style last?
With care and regular attention, a half-up half-down weave can last up to two months.
40 Stylish Undercut and Shaved Sides Hairstyles on Black women That Look Classy
35 Captivating Coi Leray Braids with Curly Ends – What Hair to Use & How Many Packs
50 Ginger and Copper Hair Color Ideas on Black Women that Pops
Look Beautiful in These 30 Wig Protective Hairstyles For Black Hair
1. Individual goddess braids
Individual box braids and knotless braids offer the flexibility of wearing hair down, in a high ponytail, low ponytail, and everything in between. These goddess braids include tendrils of loose hair left out during the braiding process with unbraided ends. Use Kanekalon braiding hair and curly crochet hair to achieve this wavy curled effect
2. Yaki straight weave human hair and natural look soft bun
Blending yaki straight weave with natural leave out can add volume and length without needing to do a full head installation. Softly twisting added hair around shorter natural bun is bold and glamourous
3. Knotless coi lerays and goddess combo with braided top bun
These jumbo knotless braids incorporate goddess braiding technique, freestyle hear shaped parts, and a high stacked bun for added visual interest. Individual braids of all sizes make for easy styling changes including this half up half down look.
4. Natural look space buns
Naturally coily-look hair is sleek and controlled in this space bun up/down weekend look. Full fluffy volume in the rear celebrates natural length and healthy hair. Pulling front portion up keeps hair out of your face when running errands or working out.
5. Old Hollywood glam deep wave with precision chingnon
A chignon hair tool provides a solid base to build a perfectly shaped top bun. A half up half down style makes short work of a weave installation requiring sewn in hair to the back half only. Blending is easy with no hairline to consider. Loose braiding hair can add bulk and coverage to the top bun.
6. Twine tied natural top bun with cornrowed sides
Hair twine helps to contain the top bun and maintain its shape. Vertical cornrowed sides create an undercut illusion and provide structure to this otherwise free-flowing natural style. Gold metallic cuffs complement gold earrings
7. Precision cornrow temples with tightly wound coiled bun with bone straight leave out and bangs
Elevate your classic china doll bob with high low styling. A vertical cornrow makes more of a statement than just a part separating each section. The coiled bun is neat and tall. The chopsticks are a nod to this Asian inspired bowl cut.
8. Natural 3C curls with half up full bun
Messy buns work for brown girls too. Softly gathered half up bun is both casual and classy. Take this style from the living room straight to the boardroom. Keep curls poppin’ with curly magic
9. 4C natural puffs and short stretched leave out
Prestretch clean hair in braids before unbraiding and picking out tresses for fluffy volume. Part off sections before gathering into puffs and continue to pick and fluff until desired shape and height is achieved.
10. Half up fruit punch red lace front
Have your lace front unit pre-plucked and parted off prior to installation for easy styling once in place. This middle part allows for a more natural-looking gathering of space buns, and can also be worn down.
11. Half up deep wave lace front with flowing fountain top ponytail
This lace front installation avoids the need for parted sections by gathering the top portion in such a way as to blend in with the surrounding length. The fountain-like top ponytail flows effortlessly over gathered roots.
12. Stretched natural rubber band gathered sections
Black rubber bands help to craft the gathered portions of this structured style. Each of 15 sections (5 left, right and central) combine in a soft half up top bun. The “all work in the front, carefree party in the back” can be gathered and pinned up for a more formal look.
13. Curly mid-length half up half down with side swopping bangs and flowing fountain ponytail
This heavily styled look takes the roller set to all new heights. Curls are left intact and fingered through, while side swept bangs are set firmly into place with round brush and setting lotion
14. Burgundy deep wave lace front
This lace front unit incorporates auburn red/burgundy color to this glamorous half up half down look
15. Bone straight one-third up two-third down with full length leave out uncut bangs
The up-down look need not be a game of half-and-half. Here one-third of bone straight hair is gathered high, with the part beginning in front of, not behind or at the ear. Uncut face-framing bang pieces echo the bone straight length in the back.
16. 3C curly twist out half up/down with face-framing front section leave-out
Stretching clean natural hair with twists gives it length and controlled definition. “Pineapple-ing” the front section post “twist-out” continues to stretch and lengthen face framing segments for sleeker roots when worn down later in the week. Consider the doux curl forming foam for a well-defined twist out
17. Wet wave lace front partial up with flowing fountain
This wet and wavy lace front is a sexy summer-ready look that screams hot girl summer
18. Bone straight blended half weave with short length top ponytail
The short length half up ponytail stands out against the ultra long length half weave. A pair of vertical cornrows ear to crown redistributes tension and limits the risk of headache from the tightly gathered high ponytail as less hair is pulled at the temples.
19. Jessica Rabbit red U shape wig with dyed and blended leave out
Let the world know you’re not bad, you’re just drawn this way! Hair is dyed at u-shaped leave out and blended seamlessly into U part wig.
20. Fluffed and full braid out with high sculpted top knot
Clean natural hair is plaited and rollered on the ends. Braid out is finger-fluffed in the back and gathered high in the front. Lay down edges and sculpt baby hair with Shine and Jam Edge control
40 Trendy Romantic Heart-Shaped Cornrows – Perfect For 2023 Valentines and Vacations
40 Waist Length to Floor Length Long Box Braids Hairstyles To Make a Statement In
40 Colorful Box Braids and Cornrows Hairstyles To Feel Confidently Bold In
40 Stylishly Short Braids Hairstyles You’ll Fall In Love With in 2023
21. Flat ironed bob with broad U-shaped top ponytail
This classic straight bob maintains its shape with a U-shape sectioning off of a half ponytail. This design keeps hairline tension to a minimum and allows the haircut to frame the face as intended
22. Voluminous natural half-bun and half-down
Another natural messy bun showcases the versatility and beauty of afro texture hair.
23. Press and curl ear-to-ear section ponytail and barrel curled leave out
This press and curl with barrel curls celebrate a classic no-frills half up half down style. Wrap hair at night to maintain soft silky bumped ends.
24. Flat ironed full length up and down with bleached tips
Bleached ends set the stage for layering on edgy ombre colors. Face framing uncut bangs helps bring the color contrast to the front
25. Red-brown half weave with large barrel curls
Half weaves take half the time, half the work, and half the cost.
26. Wet natural curls half up half down
The wet and wavy look is a sexy warm weather style that holds up well in humidity and sweat.
27. 1B straight wig with broad side swooping bang and high fountain ponytail
This ready-to-wear wig is styled half up and half down with a broadly sectioned side-swept bang. No lace front finessing necessary.
28. Dark brown loose waves up/down and side swept uncut bangs
Dark brown lace front unit styled half up/half dow
29. Curly half-wig, banded sections, and delicately designed baby hair
Long-length curly half wig pairs with intricately styled hairline with rubberbanded sections, finely cornrowed parts, and loopy heart shaped baby hair.
30. U-shaped top-section deep waved half weave.
Always use a small section of the weave to wrap around your high ponytail for that perfect finishing touch
31. Golden brown front gathered natural
This deep curly golden brown half weave is full and voluminous. Short natural hair is well hidden within the volume of the curly installation
32. Softly gathered passion twists
Passion twists are another individual style that makes it easy to switch up the look from up to down to half and half. Try passion-twisting hair to achieve this look
33. China doll bangs on bone-straight wig with messy space buns
This buns and bang wig style lets you try out a super cute half up half down style with no commitment to cutting bangs.
34. Dual ponytails and full-length leave out
Half weave length cascades down the back while natural hair in front is blended with additional length and wrapped at the base for a smooth finish.
35. Half weave with twin ponytails with wrapped bases.
Expertly plucked and styled lace front weaves achieve a natural, seamless look.
36. 1B/30 fountain ponytail with wrapped base and half weave leave out
Very short hair is easily encased in a wrapped and flowing half-up fountain ponytail. The rear portion becomes a canvas for glued or sewn in tracks, a half weave.
37. Long loose curls half up/down lace front wig
This long and silky lace front is the epitome of glamour that transitions smoothly from the work week to the weekend.
38. Natural curly space buns with twisted bang section and curly leave out
Natural curls can be flirty and fun. This youthful style of messy puff buns and double two-strand twists is even sweeter with girlish baby breath accessories, perfect for spring time.
39. Sculpted four-square afro puffs and twisted bangs
4C hair is full of character, charisma, and versatility. Softly gathered puffs x4 with twisted bangs makes for picture-perfect pool day hair.
40. Parted side swept bangs with high fountain and wrapped base.
There’s no limit to lace front styling. The side-swept bang is giving mystery and allure. The high fountain ponytail offers a sweetness to an otherwise serious and mature full length wig.
41. Blonde with dark roots long length wig
Blondes have more fun, right? Try on a blonde style without the commitment of bleaching and retouching.
42. Medium-length curly ponytails with shoulder length hair down
Lace fronts are just as fun in short curly styles as in long glamorous looks. Trying out half up half down in different lengths keeps all your fans constantly guessing ‘what will she try next?”
43. Wavy purple lace front with china doll bangs and wrapped base fountain ponytail
Colorful wigs are a commitment-free way to try a daring dramatic change without damaging chemicals or constant touch-ups. Purple evokes royalty and power.
44. Wavy curl with face-framing uncut bangs.
Lace front styling might include full bangs or like above, subtle face-framing uncut tendrils along the hairline. The resulting look is feminine and romantic.