Gone are the days when everyone’s braids look the same. Nowadays, there are so many varieties of box braids popping up all over the place, it’s almost hard to keep up.
You might have heard about bohemian box braids and are wondering what they are and how to achieve the look.
That’s why in this post, I will be breaking down what Bohemian box braids are, what type of hair you’ll need, how to get the hairstyle, and 40 different hairstyles you can choose from.
Before we get into today’s post, I’d like to bring your attention to the related posts below which details what to do when you have a protective hairstyle on.
I want to make sure that you get the best out of your hairstyle and that you come out with long, luscious hair after you take down your bohemian box braids.
- 60 Charming Bohemian Goddess Braids for Beautiful Women
- 50 Bohemian Goddess Locs Hairstyles
- 40 Waist Length to Floor Length Box Braids Hairstyles
- 20 Beautiful Criss-Cross Box Braids Hairstyles With Rubber Bands
- 50 Box Braids Protective Styles on Natural Hair with Full Guide
- 40 Colorful Box Braids and Cornrows Hairstyles To Feel Confident In
What are Bohemian box braids?
They are simply curly box braids with curly hair braided into the box braids to give a soft, fuller, and voluminous look.
If you’re the type that likes to play with your protective style, you will definitely love this hairstyle because you can re-style it into whatever hairstyle you want.
What is the difference between Bohemian braids, Gypsy braids, Boho braids, and Goddess braids?
These hairstyles are all the same hairstyle, but with different names, depending on who you are talking to. But the most popular name that the majority of women have decided to go with is Bohemian braids.
What is the easiest Bohemian box braids tutorial you can recommend?
To get started, I recommend watching this easy-to-follow video tutorial by Glam by Merry
What hair should I use for Bohemian box braids?
How many packs of hair do I need to get Bohemian box braids?
Depending on the length and thickness of the hairstyle you’re going for, you will need anywhere between 5-10 packs of kanekalon hair packs and 1 pack of the freetress deep twist hair. If you will be using x-pressions hair pack, you can get away with about 2 packs of hair.
How long do Bohemian box braids last?
These hairstyles can last from anywhere from 4-8 weeks. Like any protective style, I don’t recommend keeping the hairstyle in your hair longer than eight weeks.
It’s crucial that you give your hair a break in order to avoid breakage, especially around the edges.
How do I take care of my natural hair while it’s in Bohemian box braids?
It’s crucial that you take care of your hair underneath. To do that, I recommend using one of these leave-in conditioner sprays, so that you can moisturize your hair without applying heavy creams.
You should also lubricate your scalp with one of these hair growth oils so that your scalp doesn’t dry out while your hair is in a protective style.
How do I prevent an itchy scalp when I have hair extensions on?
If you find that your hair itches after installing hair extensions, I suggest pre-soaking the hair extensions in a bowl of diluted apple cider vinegar. You can then wash off the vinegar smell with your favourite shampoo and rinse off with conditioner to add extra softness to the hair.
- 10 Natural Hair Growth Products For Your Edges
- 10 Best Anti-Itch Oils For Protective Styles
- 7 Steps to Take Before You Do A Protective Style
- Four Signs It’s Time To Wash Your Protective Style and What To Do
- How To Maintain Your Natural Hair While in a Protective Style
- Ultimate Guide: How to Wash Your Natural Hair In a Protective Style
What are 40 of the most Beautiful Bohemian box braids hairstyles out there?
These images were all sourced online. To be credited for your personal picture, please send me a message with your image, and we’ll be sure to credit you.
This post also contains affiliate links which means that I earn a small commission if you make a purchase with my link, at no additional cost to you.
1. Short Bohemian Box Braids
2. Bob Bohemian Box Braids with Strings and Braid Rings
3. Hip Length Chunky Bohemian Box Braids
4. Medium-sized hip-length Bohemian box braids
5. Waist Length Bohemian box braids
This is a regular box braid with curly ends. You can get these unique hair extensions from Amazon here.
6. Burgundy Bohemian box braids
7. Burgundy and Black Bohemian box braids with defined edges
This hairstyle looks to be a mix of black and burgundy hair. You can either replicate the same style or use either one of the colours.
8. Chunky hip-length Bohemian box braids
9. Waist-length Bohemian box braids with hair strings and braid rings.
You can accessorize your braids with hair accessories which you can easily order from Amazon.
10. Small Knotless Bohemian Braids
Need an effortlessly elegant look to wear to a date or fancy occasion? This style is definitely the look for you.
11. Hip-length chunky Bohemian box braids with strings
12. Voluminous Boho box braids
13. Homemade Goddess box braids with braid rings
For a complete look, you can also get the eyelash or a similar style here.
14. Mini Bohemian box braids on fine hair
15. Messy Goddess Box Braids
16. Half Up, Half Down Blonde Bohemian Box braids
17. Dirty blonde shoulder-length Goddess box braids
Like all other hairstyle, you can accessorize your hair with cowries or braid rings.
18. Ombre Medium-Sized Boho Box Braids
To get this cappuccino look, you can mix in a bit of #27 braiding hair and only use #27 of the deep-twist hair.
19. Extra Long Ombre Honey Blonde Bohemian box braids
20. Triangle Part Ombre Bohemian Box Braids
21. White girl blonde Bohemian Box Braids
22. Teenage Unicorn Blonde Bohemian Box Braids
This is a perfect hairstyle for a pre-teen, teenager and young adult. You can add colorful threads and braid accessories for a more playful look.
23. Bohemian box braids with Red hair
For an extra pop of color, feel free to add braid rings and cowries.
24. Ponytail Stitch Cornrows Bohemian braids with Burgundy hair
This is a fun and unique hairstyle that will have people asking you where you got your hair done and how you got it done. Rather than a simple and traditional cornrows technique, you can add some flair with these Bohemian braids style.
25. Hip Length Bohemian Box Braids
26. Top Knot Bohemian Box Braids
27. Waist Length Boho Braids
28. Half Up, Half Down Box Braids With Curly Ends
29. Chunky Bohemian Box Braids with a Gypsy Look
30. Medium Length Boho Box Braids
31. Chunky Parts Bohemian Box Braids
The chunky parts is great for someone who can’t sit for hours to get their hair done or taken down. You can use smaller sections of hair extensions so that you get a fuller look, without the added weight.
32. Bohemian Lemonade Braids
33. Ombre Bohemian Braids
34. Swipe Swoop Lemonade Bohemian Braids
This soft and fluffy hairstyle adds an extra layer of playfulness to traditional lemonade braids.
35. Two-Step Cornrow Bohemian Box Braids
This hairstyle has cornrows at the front and single braids at the back. It’s a popular hairstyle in many parts of Africa because it’s a 2-in-1 hairstyle that gives you the benefits of cornrows and braids.
36. Hip Length Bohemian Box Braids With a Wavy Finish
37. Curly Blonde Box Braids
38. Waist Length Jumbo Gypsy Box Braids
39. Bronze highlighted Boho Box Braids
40. Boho Box Braids
Which is your favorite and which hairstyle will you be trying first? DM me on Instagram.