Gone are the days when everyone’s braids looks the same. Nowadays, there are so many varieties of box braids popping up all over the place, it’s almost hard to keep up. You might have heard about bohemian box braids and are wondering what they are and how to achieve the look.
That’s why in this post, I will be breaking down what Bohemian box braids are, what type of hair you’ll need, how to get the hairstyle and 40 different hairstyles you can choose from.
Before we get into today’s post, I’d like to bring your attention to the related posts below which details what to do when you have a protective hairstyle on. I want to make sure that you get the best out of your hairstyle and you will come out with long, luscious hair after you take down your bohemian box braids.
10 Natural Hair Growth Products For Your Edges
10 Best Anti-Itch Oils For Protective Styles
7 Steps to Take Before You Do A Protective Style
Four Signs It’s Time To Wash Your Protective Style and What To Do
How To Maintain Your Natural Hair While in a Protective Style
Ultimate Guide: How to Wash Your Natural Hair In a Protective Style
What are Bohemian box braids?
They are simply curly box braids with curly and undone ends, which gives you a fuller and voluminous look. This hairstyle is perfect for someone who likes long braids, but not the added weight that comes with it. The reason is that the undone ends, provides a lighter weight to the entire hairstyle. And if you’re the type that likes to play with your protective style, you will definitely love this hairstyle because you can re-style the ends into whatever hairstyle you want
What is the easiest Bohemian box braids tutorial you can recommend?
To get started, I recommend watching this easy to follow video tutorial by Glam by Merry
In this video, she used 4 packs of EZ Braid hair and one pack of 24″ freetress deep twist hair.
What hair to use for Bohemian box braids?
To get this fun look, you will need any kanekalon or xpressions hair and about one pack of curly crotchet hair such as the freetress deep twist hair.
How many packs of hair do I need to get Bohemian box braids?
Depending on the length and thickness of the hairstyle you’re going for, you will need anywhere between 5-10 packs of kanekalon hair packs and 1 pack of the freetress deep twist hair. If you will be using x-pressions hair pack, you can get away with about 2 packs of hair.
How long do Bohemian box braids last?
These hairstyles can last from anywhere from 4-8 months. Like any protective style, I don’t recommend keeping the hairstyle in your hair longer than 8 weeks. It’s crucial that you give your hair a break in order to avoid breakage, especially around the edges.
How do I take care of my natural hair while it’s in Bohemian box braids?
It’s crucial that you take care of your hair underneath. To do that, I recommend using one of these leave-in conditioner sprays, so that you can moisturize your hair without applying heavy creams. You should also lubricate your scalp with one of these hair growth oils so that your scalp doesn’t dry out while your hair is in a protective style.
How do I prevent itchy scalp when I have hair extensions on?
If you find that your hair itches after installing hair extensions, I suggest pre-soaking the hair extensions piece in a bowl of diluted apple cider vinegar. You can then wash off the vinegar smell with your favourite shampoo and rinse off with conditioner to add extra softness to the hair.
What are 40 of the most Beautiful Bohemian box braids hairstyles out there?
These images were all sourced from Pinterest. To be credited for your personal picture, please send me a message with your image and we’ll be sure to credit you.
1. Short Bohemian Box Braids
2. Bob Bohemian Box Braids with Strings and Braid Rings
3. Hip Length Chunky Bohemian Box Braids
4. Medium sized hip length Bohemian box braids
5. Waist Length Bohemian box braids
6. Burgundy Bohemian box braids
7. Burgundy and Black Bohemian box braids with defined edges
8. Chunky hip length Bohemian box braids
9. Waist length Bohemian box braids with hair strings and braid rings.
You can accessorize your braids with hair accessories which you can easily order from Amazon.
10. Small sized and waist length bohemian box braids
11. Hip length chunky Bohemian box braids with strings
12. Voluminous Bohemian box braids with lots of unraveled ends
13. Homemade Bohemian box braids with braid rings
14. Mini Bohemian box braids on fine hair
15. Messy Bohemian Box Braids
16. Half Up, Half Down Chunky Bohemian Box braids
17. Dirty blonde shoulder length Bohemian box braids.
Like all other hair style, you can accessorize your hair with cowries or braid rings.
18. Ombre Medium Sized Bohemian Box Braids
19. Extra long ombre Bohemian box braids
20. Triangle Part Ombre Bohemian Box Braids
21. White girl blonde Bohemian Box Braids
22. Teenage Unicorn Blonde Bohemian Box Braids
This is a perfect hairstyle for a pre-teen, teenager and young adult. You can add colorful threads and braid accessories for a more playful look.
23. Red hair Bohemian box braids.
For an extra pop of color, feel free to add braid rings and cowries.
24. Cornrow ponytail Bohemian box braids on Burgundy hair
25. Purple Chunky Bohemian Box Braids
26. Gypsy looking Bohemian Box Braids
27. Half Up, Half Down Box Braids
28. Half Up, Half Down Box Braids With Curly Ends
29. Chunky Bohemian Box Braids with a Gypsy Look
30. Cute Teenage Bohemian Box Braids With Strings
31. All back corn row with sleek edged Bohemian braids
32. Half Corn Row, Half Singles Bohemian Box Braids with Curly Ends
33. Side Weep Fulani Cornrow with a Bohemian Finish
34. Swipe Swoop Cornrows Bohemian Braids
35. Two Step Cornrow Bohemian Box Braids
This hairstyle has cornrows at the front and single braids at the back.
36. Hip Length Bohemian Box Braids With a Wavy Finish
37. Blonde Bohemian Box Braids for White Girls
38. Waist Length Chunky Bohemian Box Braids
39. Bronze Bohemian Box Braids With Curly Ends
40. Side Part Cornrows Bohemian Box Braids
Which is your favorite and which hairstyle will you be trying first?